This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Canberra and surrounding district. Able to travel.
"I did the Parent Effectiveness Training (PET) course six years ago when I had a three year old and a one year old. I was looking for an alternative way of connecting and parenting my boys without having to resort to yelling, getting frustrated and yes, "losing it" with them. An out-of-control grown up is a scary sight for small children!
Larissa Dann has been teaching this course for many years (I think her eldest child is now at University) and I highly recommend this course. It taught me to stop, breathe and work out who's problem it was (was it a problem for me or was it the child's problem), how to express my feelings on the problem and how to come up with a win-win solution with the kids.
It also taught me a great deal about Active Listening, clarifying communication and generally made me see things in a whole new light. The course runs over eight weeks and I saw a huge improvement with my relationship with my children, even at that young age. I still use the skills now. It's not a quick fix and you do have to work at it but the proof is most definitely in the relationship you build with your children (and by default, any adults around you - I often use the skills on my work colleagues!)
From anonymous feedback at the end of the course:
- “Larissa was thoughtful and provided a mix of approaches which were great/funny/interesting, and encouraged participation well. Great personal insights and examples.”
- "Thank you, Larissa. You’re an amazing teacher. I think that’s been part of the power of the whole course – I don’t think just anyone could have delivered these same messages. You’ve got brilliant skills in imparting your wisdom."
- "Larissa you are absolutely fantastic! You beat all of the psychologists and counsellors we've seen through the years"
- "Wonderful teacher. Imparts skills in a highly respectful and empowering way."
- "Larissa is an amazing teacher - open, honest, patient, friendly and supportive."
- “Very much appreciated the examples from your own life and parenting, know that we’re all human, all trying.”
- “Thanks Larissa. You have really had such a positive influence on me and my children. This has been a very positive turning point for us.”
- “Terrific. Good listener and teacher. A great ability to transfer skills.”